First Presbyterian Church--Warrensburg, Missouri
written by Bill Foley
Founded in 1852, Warrensburg’s First Presbyterian Church has a long history of ministry, Christian witness and service. Through the years, First Presbyterian has offered opportunities for worship, fellowship, Christian education, and outreach. An open and caring community of believers, First Presbyterian is a mission-oriented congregation that seeks to respond to spiritual and physical needs locally and in the larger world. In years past it sponsored Vietnamese refugee families, helped initiate a local Meals on Wheels program, hosted a summer meal service for children, and supported the construction of a Habitat for Humanity home in Warrensburg. Currently its members work with Hospice, the Food Center, Christmas Store and Warrensburg Christian Social Concerns Committee. FPC operates a Parent’s Day Out program, and its Culton Street Outreach Center houses the community-based Warrensburg Food Center and the offices of Survival Adult Abuse Services.
First Presbyterian’s church building, located at the corner of College and Market, is the congregation’s third structure. The first was erected on Gay Street in Old Town in 1859. The second, built in 1871 on the current site, was razed in 1909 to make way for the present structure needed for the church’s expanding membership. The first service in the new stone Gothic Revival Church was held on October 9, 1910. In the early 1950s an education wing and Fellowship Hall were added to the structure. A 2009 project marking the 100th anniversary of the building’s completion refurbished and modernized the historic structure and made it more compatible with twenty-first century needs. The sanctuary retains its original vaulted wooden ceiling, stained glass windows and curved pews. The Quimby pipe organ built in 2000 is a two-manual instrument of 29 ranks. While justly proud of First Presbyterian’s past accomplishments, its members are focused on the future and welcome all who would like to join them in sustaining the congregation’s continuing commitment to proclaiming the Good News of Jesus Christ and ministering to those in need.
First Presbyterian Church